Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sheets Loves the Steri-Pen and Injinji


Today at O.R., we met with inimitable Jeff Sheets, our sales rep for Ex Officio travel clothes. Jeff is a great sales rep because he is gregarious, an incredibly nice guy, and because he has a deep belief in (and excitement for) the products he represents. Jeff reps a panoply of other products aside from his main gig with Ex O (as we in the business refer to it), and among those are Injinji Socks, and the Steri-Pen, which Jeff has been trying to get us to carry for several year now.

The Steri-Pen is a great idea, but one we think people would not buy at our store. It sterilizes water using UV light. It's small. It runs on AA batteries. But we've never had much success with water purification of any kind. If anybody reading this disagrees, please feel free to send us an email or comment.

We didn't expect to be too into Injinji socks either. We sell some travel socks online and in the store (Travel Sox, Tilley Unholey Socks, and Zip It Socks) but we were not sure that toe socks were in our niche. But after hanging out at the Injinji booth and talking about them, we think we're going to bring them in. The thing that sold me was the point that socks that individually cover each toe are great at counteracting blisters. When I travel, I walk a lot. And for at least the first week of a trip, until I get used to walking from one corner of London to the other (like I did in November of 2006), I end up with some vicious blistering. And I remember wrapping Band-Aids around my toes to keep them from rubbing against each other and aggravating the blisters. After talking to Jeff and the folks at the Injinji booth, I kind of wish I'd had a pair of their sock with me instead.

No comments: